The Event Academy Africa is the brainchild of industry experts, Gwynneth Matthews and Zelda Coetzee-Burger, and based in Stellenbosch (South Africa). The Academy offers part-time event and conference management courses and master classes geared at individuals and teams looking for hands-on training in the latest conference and event management techniques and best practices. We speak to Gwynneth and Zelda to find out more.
We love that Event Academy Africa will be based in Stellenbosch. Why did you choose this city?
Stellenbosch is growing as a leading business tourism destination in Africa and it has attained the position as the intellectual capital of Africa. Right from the start the idea was sparked by Stellenbosch 360 with the recognition for the need for the professionalism of the Business Tourism Industry.
Why is it significant for students to learn in small, intimate groups?
Our courses aim to deliver hands on principles that can be applied into an event professional’s job or businesses. We believe smaller groups lend themselves to more focussed learning – and are a lot less intimidating.
Are the academy offerings based on gaps you have noticed in the local industry?
With over 20 years’ experience we have outcomes based courses to bridge gaps and ensure learners are more job ready. Our focus is not theory based, on but being job ready. Serious soft skills, problem solving, or understanding people, don’t integrate.
Tell us more about the Leadership Retreat in July.
The retreat is aimed at Executive Management and will focus on the leadership and strategic growth in the business tourism industry; a gathering of leaders in the business and events Industry in search of inspiration in a collaborative forum and will address challenges and opportunities specific to the events industry in Africa.
Tell us about the Master Classes – what are some of the topics learners can choose from?
Attendees have the flexibility to choose their own curriculum. Topics include:
* Introduction To Business and Events Tourism
* Conference/Event Budgets, Cashflow Planning, Financial Management
* Conference/Event Marketing, Promotion, Delegate Boosting, Social Media
* Conference Programme Planning, Managing Abstracts, Registration Tools
* Sponsorship And Fundraising
* Food & Beverage Planning, Menu And Beverage Trends
* Venue Management, Contracting, Housing/Accommodation Management
* Event Risks, Event Safety, Event Permits, Security, Insurances
* Audio-Visual And Technical Management, Stage Management
* A-Z Of Exhibition Management
* Transport Logistics, Moving Large Groups, Managing Airport Arrivals/Departures
* Project Management Tools, Client Engagement, Managing And Leading Teams
* Conference Bidding, Dealing With Convention Bureaux, Destination Marketing
* Project Management, Status Reports, Managing Teams
Will you personally teach classes?
Yes we will be delivering most of the courses and we will rope in industry specialists as guest lecturers.
If readers want to book courses/classes now, how can they go about it?
That’s easy… go to www.eventacademyafrica.co.za and choose on the BOOK NOW buttons for either the Master Classes or Short Courses.
Any last words?
Our courses are open for all, whether you’ve done your first qualification in events management or you’ve been running your own business for years. Our passion lies in bridging the gap between academia and what is needed in the industry and we look forward to igniting passion for the business and events industry.
Left Coast Kratom is here to help you experience the freshest highest quality kratom powders and extracts at competitive prices.